how to fold a lamp
I bought a roll of sketch paper from Ikea in the kid section. The reason why we chose this paper is because of the price. It's cheap so we can do a lot experiments before we know what we really want to make.
okay, let's start to make the lamp.
The above diagram is the pattern I did for this lamp. The straight and dotted lines are the folding lines on the front side of paper and the diagonal lines are the folding lines on the back side of paper. When I say " front" and back" sides of paper it doesn't mean this paper has front and back sides. Most of papers are not like fabric has identical right or wrong sides. It's just easier for me to differentiate the two folding patterns on two sides of same paper.
1. Start with straight lines first. you can mark lines on the paper. The way I did is marking the line only at the
top and bottom of the paper and then score the lines by rotary knife. You won't see the marks because they
will be hidden after assembling the lamp.
2. I did 40 columns so total is 40 inches long. 1 inch(for each column)x 40 x 1'-6 1/2" (tall)
3. Begin the first diagonal folding line from the 8th column (see the diagram above) and continue.....
remember the diagonal lines should be marked in the opposite side of the straight line's.
**The images below show the sample of paper from the book.
1cm( for each column)x78 x 24cm(tall)
4. After finishing the marking then we can start to fold the lines. One side at a time. If you score the lines
before folding , you find that the folding lines are much more crisp.
5. Start to pull the shape together after you finish folding.
** It will start to like this....... keep pull them together ( in and out).
Ok, in the meanwhile, let's talk to about the core. I got this core from Ikea. I think they are original for their paper lamp. I also got the low watt light bulbs from them. They are in very love temperature so it's safer for the paper lamp.
You can also make your own cord.
**My dear friend Sean made this for me from scratches. You can find all the parts in Home depot.
6. Finally! time to assemble the lamp.
I drilled two holes on the top and bottom and thread the holes with embroider string We have tried metal
wire or polyester string. I think I prefer embroider thread. Adjust the KNOT when you think it can hold the
7. Glue the two ends together. You are done !!!
Trust me! It's not that difficult to make this lamp but it takes time. For this small size one (roughly 13" dia.), it took me around 6 to 8 hours to finish.
Let me know if you have more questions. This is just my way to finish the lamp. I think you probably have better idea than mine.
Have a nice weekend and have fun making lamp.
** will be back to share more experiences about the paper and some other patterns.
how to fold a lamp