1.11.2009


After a good Sunday breakfast, I made Chinese steamed buns, called 花捲 (flower twist)/ Hua Juan.

Recipe from here. ( I forgot to put the oil in the dough, but they are still very tasty. I didn't add as much yeast as it said in the recipe, I just don't like the taste of yeast. ). I also tried to bake some of them. They turned out good too. Yummy!! I guess they can be different kind of forms. There are some similar buns in different forms and they all have their own names. I might make more of them but try different kind of forms or adding stuffing ( like red beans). But, Trust me! The twisting part is like crafting.......... unexpectedly & surprisingly fun to make.










I also like the twisted yarns!!




I made some belated holidays' gifts for friends.





............................................................................................................................

Barry McGee is the best!!

............................................................................................................................

13 comments:

Rona Chang said...

The hua juan looks yummy. I haven't had any in a very long time.

Anonymous said...

the 花捲 looks good! i've not had it before. will definately try making it one day.

love you blog. update more. :)

hannna said...

everything looks very delicious! so many jams...
and Barry McGee is the best! her late wife was even better, i love her work immensely.
the yarns are really pretty too, what kind of yarn is it?
and the scarfs, i wanna try weaving!
i noticed you have me on your link list, nice!

Jennifer said...

Looks like Blue Sky Alpaca! I love that yarn, so luscious! Your friends are lucky to receive those scarves!
I'm hungry looking at the buns you made...

ah-yi said...

Hi, Hannna & Jennifer

yes, they are blue sky alpaca!!

Alex said...

Thanks for posting this recipe! I've been making dumplings with a new bamboo steamer and this will be a great addition to the feast. could i stuff with BBQ pork?

ah-yi said...

alex,
that's exactly what i'm thinking to make tonight!! steamed pork bums, but i may also try the chick and scallop ones.

SASHA said...

yum.
i love blue sky alpaca, too. have some still to use up from a vest project...
beautiful weavings.

PAMELATANG said...

i love your scarves!!

Anonymous said...

ah-yi,
i love your scarves. can you recommend some knitting books? i want to learn to knit. how you started?

alice said...

those flower buns are so pretty! =)

Anonymous said...

I love the twisted yarn vs buns comparison, great photos and looking delicious :)

Tiaz said...

Ohh this is lovely. :)
LOOKs yummy too.